Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

How to keep your SNAP benefits active

Posted September 2, 2022
12:20 pm

By Paul Hergenroeder

During the COVID pandemic, if you received Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, you did not have to submit interim reports. Interim reports are forms that a person getting SNAP submits to their county Job and Family Services office to show that they continue to be eligible for SNAP. Most SNAP households must submit interim reports every six months.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) started requiring interim reports again on June 30, 2022. If you receive SNAP, you need to watch your mail for these forms. You must complete them by the required deadline to avoid losing your SNAP benefits.

If you moved during the pandemic, you need to be sure your contact information is up to date with ODJFS. Your mailing address, phone number, and household information must be up to date for you to receive important notices. You can call your County JFS Office (go to and click County Directory to find a phone number), call 1.844.640.6446, or log into your Ohio Benefits Self-Service Portal account to update your information.

How do I know when I need to complete an interim report?
JFS will notify you by mail if you need to complete a report. Most SNAP households (excluding elderly/disabled households) must complete a report yearly, six months after their most recent application or recertification. JFS will send you a notice in the mail. They may also send phone call and/or text reminders.

What do I need to fill out on the interim report?
The interim report will include questions about people living in your household, income changes, and change of address. You may need to provide proof of income. If you have no changes to report, you still need to turn in your report. Just check the “No Changes” box.

How do I submit the interim report?
You can either complete the report electronically on the Self-Service Portal at or turn in the printed report by mail or in person at your County Job and Family Services office.

What should I do if I do not get the interim report forms?
If your mailing address and phone number are up to date you should receive any interim report form sent to you. You can view your recent notices in the Ohio Benefits Self-Service Portal.

What should I do if I get a notice that my SNAP benefits will stop?
If you think the agency was wrong to stop or lower your SNAP benefits, you can ask for a state hearing. You can request a State Hearing by calling the Ohio Bureau of State Hearings at 1.866.635.3748, by fax at 614.728.9574 or by email at Even though you have 90 days to appeal, if you request a State Hearing within fifteen days of the date of the notice, your benefits will continue until the appeal is resolved.

If you need help appealing the termination of denial of your SNAP benefits, you can apply to the Legal Aid Society for assistance by calling 1.888.817.3777 or applying online.

This article was published in Legal Aid's newsletter, "The Alert" Volume 38, Issue 2, in Summer 2022. See full issue at this link: “The Alert” – Volume 38, Issue 2 – Legal Aid Society of Cleveland (  

Quick Exit