There are many different types of benefits available to veterans. Are you unsure of which benefits you may be able to apply for? The links below will help you figure it out:
- If your discharge was less than fully Honorable please click here.
- For an explanation of the difference between Department of Defense, Veterans Affairs, and Social Security Benefits click here.
- For a guide to help you find out which benefits you may be able to apply for click here.
- A screening guide that helps veterans find out which benefits they may be able to apply for is available here. http://statesidelegal.org/va-benefits-quick-screening-guide. This guide is not meant to give legal advice and is only a tool to help you determine which benefits you may qualify for. Since the information that you will receive is based on your answers, make sure to read the questions carefully and to answer accurately.
- VA benefits…compensation or pension? click here.
- Once you figure out that you may apply for VA benefits, you have to determine which VA benefits you qualify for: service-connected disability compensation (compensation) or non-service-connected disability pension (pension). Both types of benefits are based on disability, but there are several differences between compensation and pension.PensionCompensation
Need-based program Not based on need or income To be eligible must have wartime service, low income, and total and permanent disability Do not need to have total disability, low income, or wartime service Do not need to connect disabilities to the time of military service Need to connect disability to the time of military service Veterans aged 65 years and older are presumed to be permanently and totally disabled No presumption of disability for veterans aged 65 years and older
A more detailed explanation of the differences between VA compensation and VA pension, including the requirements for each is available here.
- If you meet the requirements for VA pension benefits click here.
- Click here for more information on VA pension and to download the form you need to fill out to apply
- If you meet the requirements for VA compensation benefits click here.