Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

What Should I Know if I Have a “Rep Payee”?

A representative payee (“rep payee”) is a person appointed by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to manage you Social Security or SSI benefits. SSA will only appoint a rep payee if they believe that you are not able to manage your money so that all of your food, clothing and housing needs are met.

This brochure will help you understand what a rep payee is, who can be a payee, what they are supposed to do for you, and your rights with a rep payee.

More information is available in this brochure published by Legal Aid: What I Should Know If I Have a Rep Payee

Quick Exit