Do you rent your home? Do you have questions about tenant rights and responsibilities? Tenants can call Legal Aid’s Tenant Information Line at 216.861.5955 for information about Ohio housing law. Some examples of common questions are:
- Am I allowed to break my lease?
- How can I get my landlord to make repairs?
- What do I need to do to get back my security deposit?
- Can I keep my service animal if my new building does not allow pets?
- Do I have to keep paying rent if my landlord is not paying utilities that are his responsibility?
- I received a 3- day notice, do I need to move?
- How much can my landlord charge for late fees?
Tenants can call and leave a message at any time. Callers should clearly state their name, phone number and a brief description of their housing question. A housing specialist will return the call between 9AM and 5PM, Monday through Friday. Calls are returned within 1-2 business days.
This number is for information only. Callers will get answers to their questions and will also receive information about their rights. Some callers may be referred to other organizations for additional help. Callers who need legal assistance may be referred to Legal Aid’s intake or a neighborhood brief advice clinic.
If you are a tenant in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, or Lorain county, we look forward to answering your questions! Call us today at 216.861.5955.