Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

I owe federal income taxes, but I cannot pay. What can I do?

You have at least three choices.

  1. Make monthly payments through an "Installment Agreement."
  2. Ask to be placed in "Currently Not Collectible" status because you face a financial hardship. Currently Not Collectible status means the IRS will not collect on the debt, except to take your future tax refunds and apply them to this debt, but the debt still exists.
  3. Offer to settle the debt by paying part of the tax. This is called an "Offer In Compromise," and is based on your financial condition.


Quick Exit