Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

My child has an IEP, but she is still having problems in school. Do I need to have the IEP changed?

If your child is still having problems in school, the school may not be following the IEP or your child's needs may have changed.

  • You can request an IEP meeting at any time.
  • Your child must be re-evaluated every three years.
  • IEP's must be reviewed by the IEP team once every year.

*If your child is on an IEP he or she has extra rights and protections for suspensions and expulsions.

**If your son or daughter is on an IEP and has been removed from school for more than 10 days total in any school year, the school must hold a Manifestation Determination Review hearing before that child can be removed from school. If a child on an IEP is removed from school then he or she is still entitled to receive an education, usually in the form of home instruction.

Next Steps

Visit a brief advice clinic or contact Legal Aid.

Other Resources

School Discipline: Know your Rights - School Expulsions
Pro se Forms
Glossary of Education Terms

You may be able to find an attorney who can help you by contacting:

Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Lawyer Referral Service
(216) 696-3532

Quick Exit