Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

My child has an IEP but I do not get regular reports. What can I do?

A child getting special education at a public or charter school has an Individualized Education Program (IEP).   This IEP is written at least once a year and lists goals for the child in their areas of need.   An IEP Progress Report, talking about the child's progress on each goal, must be mailed to the child's caregiver regularly.   The child's IEP will say how often the IEP Progress Reports must be mailed.

Legal Aid recently filed a complaint against the Cleveland Metropolitan School District because caregivers of children with IEPs were not getting IEP Progress Reports as often as they should.   The Ohio Department of Education told the school district it must regularly send IEP Progress Reports to caregivers of students getting special education.

If your child has an IEP and you are not getting regular IEP Progress Reports, you should talk to your child's teacher and/or principal.   If that does not help, you may file a complaint with the Ohio Department of Education.   You may get the complaint form at their website,, or by calling Legal Aid at 1-888-817-3777.

This article was written by Legal Aid volunteer Kolie Erokwu and appeared in The Alert: Volume 29, Issue 3. Click here to read the full issue.

Quick Exit