Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

How to File a Sexual Harassment in Housing Complaint

How do I file a sexual harassment complaint with HUD?

HUD accepts sexual harassment complaints through its Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity. Complaints may be made:

  1. Online. Follow the link of your choice to complete the online form: English Form or Spanish Form
  2. By Mail or Email. Fill out your desired form from the list below:

Chicago Regional Office of FHEO
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Ralph H. Metcalfe Federal Building
77 West Jackson Boulevard, Room 2101
Chicago, Illinois 60604-3507

3. By Phone. Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity intake specialists can be reached at 1-800-669-9777, or at 1-800-877-8339.

How do I file a sexual harassment in housing complaint with DOJ?

DOJ accepts complaints for sexual harassment in housing through the Housing and Civil Enforcement Section of the Civil Rights Division. Complaints may be made:

  1. Online using this link
  2. By email:
  3. By phone at 1-844-380-6178

What information should I provide in my complaint against a housing provider for sexual harassment?

You may provide as much or as little information as you would like. The following information will be helpful in investigating your complaint:

  1. Your name and address;
  2. The name and address of the person(s) or organization your complaint is against;
  3. The address or other identification of the housing or program involved;
  4. A short description of the event(s) that cause you to believe your rights were violated; and
  5. The date(s) of the alleged violation.

What should I expect to happen after I file a complaint?

After filing your complaint, an investigation into your claims will begin. This might include collecting further information from yourself and other witnesses. When the investigation is complete, appropriate action will be taken to enforce the law and protect your rights. This may include warning your housing provider that their conduct is illegal, helping you come to a private agreement with your landlord, and/or commencing legal action in the courts.

Quick Exit