Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

How can I enforce my rights if I have been discriminated against based on LGBTQ status?

Neither federal nor state laws in Ohio currently protect against discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. However, in Ohio, at least 20 cities, including Cleveland, have laws protecting people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (“LGBTQ”) from discrimination. See In many instances, the local ordinances create a board or committee charged with hearing complaints under the law.

People who experience discrimination based on LGBTQ status in Cleveland, whether in housing or in public accommodations, can enforce their rights through filing a complaint with the Fair Housing Board. For information about the process, call the Fair Housing Board at 216.664.4529. In other cities that have passed anti-discrimination or human rights ordinances protecting the LGBTQ community, individuals may contact that city’s law department to learn the appropriate process for filing a complaint.

The ACLU of Ohio has provided trainings on, and continues to provide information on, LGBTQ anti-discrimination ordinances, including enforcement options. For more information visit or call the ACLU of Ohio at 216.472.2200. For information on how to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or with the Ohio Civil Rights Commission contact Equality Ohio at 216.224.0400 or visit The LGBT Community Center also provides helpful information and resources.

Quick Exit