The Charitable IRA Rollover allows individuals age 70 ½ and older to make direct transfers from individual retirement accounts to qualified charities without having to count the transfers as income for federal tax purposes. In addition, if you have reached the age where you must take a required minimum distribution (RMD) from your IRA, the transfer counts toward that amount. This has become a more common philanthropic strategy for supporters to Legal Aid. Donors must remember:
- A rollover must go directly from your IRA to a 501(c)(3) organization like Legal Aid for which the donor receives no benefits. It cannot be given to a Donor Advised Fund or private foundation.
- The rollover must come from a traditional IRA and not from any other type of retirement plan (401(k), 403(b), Keogh, ESOP).
- An individual’s total Charitable IRA Rollover gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per tax year.
- The gift must be made by a person age 70 ½ or older.
Click here for a one-page summary of Charitable IRA Rollovers to Legal Aid, including (on page 2) a sample request letter you can use with your IRA custodian or trustee. Click here for a pledge form you can return to Legal Aid.
Make a gift to Legal Aid from your fund! Use the DAF Direct widget, which enables you to recommend grants from your donor-advised fund directly from this website.
Do you earn Membership Reward points when you use your American Express card? Need an idea of what to redeem those extra points for? Consider making a gift to Legal Aid! Through American Express Members Give Online program, you can redeem your American Express Membership Rewards program points for a gift to Legal Aid. 1,000 Membership Rewards points = $10.00 to Legal Aid!
Members Give makes charitable giving simple. Formerly known as GivingExpress®, Members Give connects you to the important causes - like Legal Aid. Your dollar donations are tax-deductible and you'll receive an e-mail receipt for your records. You can choose multiple ways to donate:
- Give to one or more charities and nonprofit organizations
- Donate dollars with your American Express Card
- Redeem Membership Rewards® points to make a donation
- Set up recurring donations
- Spread your donation out over the year
Visit http://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/members-give.html for more details!
Does your organization want to sponsor Legal Aid events?
For thousands of people every year, Legal Aid is the difference between homelessness & home; danger & safety; poverty & security. You can help us help more people by becoming a Sponsor of Legal Aid’s events: Jam for Justice and our Annual Meeting & Report to the Community. Sponsors receive 10 tickets to each event and promotion across all Legal Aid social media platforms (with a combined followership of 12,000) and our digital Annual Meeting program (shared with 20,000+). Learn more by calling 216-861-5217.