Posted December 12, 20188:50 am
Are you a new or experienced social worker who is passionate about working with low income communities, removing barriers, and pursuing justice for clients? Do you want to work in a setting that empowers and impacts individuals, families and communities?
The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland (Legal Aid) seeks a Social Worker to join our Community Engagement Practice Group. This position is responsible for helping Legal Aid clients address barriers to their legal representation (such as mental illness or homelessness), in order to accomplish maximum security and stability in their life. The social worker will work collaboratively with Legal Aid attorneys and paralegals, clients and partner organizations throughout Legal Aid’s 5-county service area on behalf of individuals and families facing eviction, termination of benefits, domestic violence, consumer scams, bankruptcy, employment and education problems, and other civil legal issues.
About Legal Aid: Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid organization in the United States. Legal Aid’s 47 staff attorneys, 81 staff members, and 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter and economic stability for low income clients. Legal Aid serves a diverse northeast Ohio population in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain Counties.
The Successful Candidate will:
- Be committed to Legal Aid’s mission
- Hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Social Work and be LSW or LISW eligible in Ohio
- Have 1+ years’ experience as a social worker serving low income communities
- Experience with low-income clients, knowledge of social service agencies in Legal Aid’s service area, and familiarity with the legal system preferred
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Have excellent research, writing and advocacy skills
- Have strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Have excellent team- and partnership-building skills
- Be organized, able to plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure
- Be willing to attend partnership meetings and events outside normal business hours
- Spanish language skills preferred
Compensation & Benefits: The salary for this position is $48,000+ annually DOE. In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, paid time off, and much more. Please visit Legal Aid’s “careers” section at www.lasclev.org for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: email@example.com, listing “Social Worker” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.