Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

What are my options if the college I was attending closed unexpectedly?

Generally, there are two options: Keep studying in the same field or get rid of your student loans.

If you want to keep studying:

You can transfer your credits to another school and continue taking classes there. If you transfer your credits, you will have to keep paying the student loans you took out at previous college.

Be sure to research the school you are thinking of transferring to. For instance, is the school licensed? Does it successfully place graduates in the field you are studying? The Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools has a list of schools that will accept transfer credits at You can also call the State Board at 614-466-2752 for more information.

If you would rather get rid of your student loans:

You can apply for a “closed school loan discharge.” A loan discharge means your federal loans will be cancelled. You will not have to pay the loans back. In fact, if you already started making payments, you will get your money back. However, if you get the loan discharged, you will not be able to keep your credits from the college previously attended.

For more information about a closed school loan discharge, you can contact Legal Aid. You can also read more from the Department of Education at Or you can call the Department of Education at 1-800-433-3243.

What if you took out loans from a private bank rather than the federal government?

Private loans cannot be discharged in the same way. If you have private loans, you will have to contact your lender to find out your options.

Quick Exit