HEY STUDENTS! Do you want experience:
... observing court hearings?
... interacting with Court personnel?
... client interviewing?
If you can spare 2-4 hours a week - join Legal Aid's Housing Justice Alliance this spring semester!
Legal Aid's Housing Justice Alliance helped create the Right to Counsel Cleveland (RTC) - free legal representation for tenants facing eviction. As of July 1st, 2020, certain Cleveland tenants with low-income have the right to an attorney in Cleveland Housing Court. COVID-19 exacerbated the United States eviction crisis and experts predict up to 40 million people may be evicted in the coming months. In Cleveland, eviction hearings are held virtually by Zoom.
Legal Aid needs the help of law students and paralegal students to screen clients. The tasks will include:
- Observe eviction dockets (via Zoom) in Cleveland Housing Court.
- The Court will refer tenants who seem eligible for RTC to a student volunteer for a short interview and RTC screening.
- The student will meet with the tenant in a Zoom break-out room and screen them using an electronic questionnaire integrated with Legal Aid’s case management system.
- The student will inform tenants whether they appear to be eligible for a RTC attorney and provide information regarding next steps in the process.
- have a reliable computer with good internet connection for Zoom hearings,
- attend a training in late February (date/time options TBA),
- commit to at least 2 dockets each week (each docket being 1-2 hours long, for a weekly commitment of 2-4 hours), and
- plan to volunteer for 12 weeks from March 1 - May 21, 2021.
Use the below form to indicate which 2 dockets you prefer (you must sign-up for at least 2; each section must have a selection so note if you are not available for any time slot).
Once you sign-up, you'll be on our list! We'll send you options for a training the week of February 22-26. In the meantime, mark your calendar to begin the 1st week of March.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED: we have reach capacity with this volunteer opportunity. Thank you for your interest!