Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

Social Security sent me a letter saying I have an overpayment. What do I do?

If you think the overpayment is wrong, you may file an appeal. You must file an appeal within 60 days of receiving the overpayment notice.

If you agree there was an overpayment but think it was not your fault, you may ask for a waiver of paying back the overpayment.

You may appeal and/or ask for a waiver by any of the following methods:

  • Go to your local Social Security Office
  • Call your local Social Security Office
  • Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213

Next Steps

Contact Legal Aid right away.