Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

Do you need help sealing a criminal record?

The website link described here will take you to a new page (not on Legal Aid's website) where you can get help with sealing a criminal record.  The new “Access to Justice” or A2J website will ask you questions about your criminal record.

Based on the answers you provide, you will find out whether or not you are eligible under Ohio law to seal your criminal record.  The information and documents you receive is based upon what you provide; if the information you enter is not correct, the information and documents you receive may not be accurate.

Make sure your computer is attached to a printer, so you can print these documents.

** CLICK HERE now to access the A2J website and interview questions! **

The A2J interview will NOT provide information about sealing a juvenile court record.  Click here for information about sealing juvenile records.

Tips on preparing to complete the A2J interview:

  1. Read the FAQ  “Can I get my criminal record sealed?"
  2. Gather documents related to your criminal record. For each court where you have a criminal record, contact the clerk of courts office to obtain your records. You can go in person, call by telephone, or search the clerk’s website. You can find contact information for Ohio courts here.
  3. Register for an account on the A2J website so that you can save your work. If you do not register, you cannot save your work and you will have to start over if you do not complete the interview in one session.
  4. Be sure the computer you are using is attached to a printer so you can take copies of the documents produced with you.

NOTE: You can only seal your Ohio criminal record in Ohio courts. If you have a criminal record in another state, you will have to contact that state to seal your record there. Also, even if you seal your criminal record, some employers (e.g. elderly and child care providers), state licensing boards (e.g. Board of Nursing) and law enforcement officials and agencies (e.g. police and prosecutor) are allowed to see your sealed record. 

If you answer the A2J questions and learn that you ARE ELIGIBLE to seal your criminal record, you will be able to print the documents you need to file in court and instructions on how to file these papers in this A2J interview.

If you answer the A2J questions and learn that you ARE NOT ELIGIBLE to seal your criminal record, you will be able to print that information about why you are not eligible and what other options you might have, such as to apply for a Certificate of Qualification for Employment or a Pardon.  Click here to link to information about how to apply for CQEs. And, click here for information about Pardons.

This information and the information provided on the A2J website cannot take the place of individual advice from a lawyer.  Each person’s situation is different.  You should contact a lawyer if you need legal representation or have questions about your legal rights and responsibilities.  

If you plan to come to a Legal Aid Brief Advice Clinic, remember to bring all the documents with you.  Attorneys will need the documents in order to advise you.