Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

Family Matters: Do you want an Ohio Health Care Power of Attorney or Living Will?

The website link described here will take you to a new website where you can get help preparing Ohio’s Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and/or Ohio’s Living Will.  These documents, also known as “advance directives,” can assist health care providers if you cannot communicate because of a serious illness or injury.  A Health Care Power of Attorney allows you to name someone to make medical decisions for you if you are unable to do so. A Living Will allows you to state what type of medical care you want to receive if you are permanently unconscious or terminally ill and unable to communicate.  You can also indicate your wishes regarding organ and tissue donation in a living will.

The “Access to Justice” or A2J website will ask you to enter information in order to prepare your documents.  You will need the name and address of the person or people you want to identify in your Health Care Power of Attorney and/or Living Will.  After you complete the online interview and print your documents, you need to read them and make sure they say what you want to happen.  In some places, you can also add or omit certain instructions.  Also, you will have to follow the instructions for having your signature on the documents witnessed or notarized. Lastly, you should deliver copies to your physician and the people named in the documents.

Before you go to the A2J website, you may want to review this helpful information - click here.

Make sure your computer is attached to a printer, so you can print these documents.

** CLICK HERE now to access the A2J website and interview questions! (in English) **

** CLICK HERE now to access the A2J website and interview questions! (en Español) **

This information and the information provided on the A2J website cannot take the place of individual advice from a lawyer.  Each person’s situation is different.  You should contact a lawyer if you need legal representation or have questions about your legal rights and responsibilities.  

If you plan to come to a Legal Aid Brief Advice Clinic, remember to bring all the documents with you.  Attorneys will need the documents in order to advise you.

Quick Exit