Posted December 23, 201910:47 am
Legal Aid Seeks Attorneys to Protect Housing
Legal Aid is launching an exciting new program in Cleveland – implementation of Cleveland’s new Right to Counsel legislation. Cleveland is the first city in the Midwest and the fourth in the United States to create a right to counsel for tenants. The effort grew from Legal Aid’s Housing Justice Alliance – a group Legal Aid created to promote legal representation for tenants facing evictions.
As a result, Legal Aid seeks experienced and new attorneys for two different roles.
- Attorneys who will represent tenants in Cleveland Housing Court. These cases will require a quick turn-around. These positions will have a primary focus on litigation. The impact of this work will be significant, and this group will serve as a national model. These attorneys will be based in Cleveland.
- Legal Aid also seeks attorneys who will engage in Legal Aid’s broader housing work (including representing clients in litigation, outreach/community engagement and advocacy) in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Lake and Lorain Counties. These attorneys could be based in Cleveland, Elyria, Jefferson or Painesville.
Recent law school graduates who have been admitted to the Ohio bar and experienced attorneys are encouraged to apply.
Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid in the United States. Legal Aid’s 80+ staff (including 50 attorneys) and more than 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter, and economic stability for low income clients. For more, visit: www.lasclev.org.
The Successful Candidate will:
- Be committed to Legal Aid’s mission.
- Hold a JD and be licensed to practice law in Ohio.
- Have litigation experience (strongly preferred).
- Have experience in legal services or a nonprofit environment (strongly preferred).
- Have working knowledge of state and federal law related to Legal Aid’s clients.
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Have experience collaborating with other (non-legal) professions preferred.
- Have excellent research, writing and advocacy skills.
- Have strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Have excellent team- and partnership-building skills.
- Be organized, able to plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
Compensation & Benefits: The salary for this position is $58,752+ DOE. Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, and much more. Visit www.lasclev.org/careers/overview for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: email@example.com, with “Housing Attorney” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.