What sort of repairs is my landlord required to make?
Ohio law says that landlords all have certain duties with respect to maintenance of the property, whether or not they are mentioned in the lease. All landlords are required to:
- Keep the property in livable condition.
- Keep the common areas clean and safe.
- Comply with building, housing, health, and safety codes.
- Keep all electrical, plumbing, heating, and ventilation equipment in good working order.
- Maintain all appliances and equipment supplied by the landlord.
- Provide running water hot water and heat (unless the hot water and heat are controlled entirely by the tenant and supplied by a direct public utility hook-up).
- Provide garbage cans and trash removal (if the landlord owns four or more residential units in the same building).
The parties’ lease may give the landlord additional obligations.
Your landlord is not required to make repairs or improvements to the unit that are simply cosmetic, like painting it the color of your choice, or installing light fixtures of a style that you prefer.