Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

I do not speak and understand English and one of these agencies does not provide me with an interpreter or with a staff member who speaks my language. What do I do?

  1. Ask for an interpreter or to speak to a bilingual staff member
  2. Talk to a supervisor, customer services person, or ombudsman (person who hears complaints)
  3. File a complaint; most agencies have their own complaint form you can ask for over the phone, in-person, online, or by mail. Be sure to:
  • Submit the complaint in writing (in English or your first language)
  • Sign and date the complaint
  • Keep a copy for your records

Next Steps

Contact Legal Aid. In some cases, Legal Aid may be able to help you when an agency has refused to use an interpreter to talk with you.

Quick Exit