Every child deserves an education.

If your child is struggling with academic or behavior problems in school, he or she may benefit from special education services. In many cases the school must provide free services to meet those needs.

Education Matters We Handle

  • Expulsions
  • Special Education Needs
  • Access to Education
  • Behavior Problems


I believe my child needs Special Education Services, such as an IEP, what should I do? Close

If you believe your child needs special services in school because of a physical, learning or emotional disability, you can request the school evaluate your child. Schools are obligated by law to identify and provide services to students who have disabilities that affect their learning in school. Be sure to:

  • Put the request in writing. Put the date on the letter and keep a copy for your records.
  • Keep all letters from the school.
  • Attach any letters or evaluations to the request from your child’s doctor regarding a medical diagnosis.
  • Keep copies of all important documents such as disciplinary notices and report cards.
  • Write down a summary of all telephone calls you make, voice mail messages you leave and meetings you have.
  • Do not sign anything you do not understand or do not agree with.

If your school will not test your child, talk to a lawyer about it.

Next Steps

Visit a brief advice clinic or contact Legal Aid.

Other Resources

School Discipline: Know your Rights – School Expulsions
Pro se Forms
Glossary of Education Terms

You may be able to find an attorney who can help you by contacting:

Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Lawyer Referral Service
(216) 696-3532

My child has an IEP, but she is still having problems in school. Do I need to have the IEP changed? Close

If your child is still having problems in school, the school may not be following the IEP or your child’s needs may have changed.

  • You can request an IEP meeting at any time.
  • Your child must be re-evaluated every three years.
  • IEP’s must be reviewed by the IEP team once every year.

*If your child is on an IEP he or she has extra rights and protections for suspensions and expulsions.

**If your son or daughter is on an IEP and has been removed from school for more than 10 days total in any school year, the school must hold a Manifestation Determination Review hearing before that child can be removed from school. If a child on an IEP is removed from school then he or she is still entitled to receive an education, usually in the form of home instruction.

Next Steps

Visit a brief advice clinic or contact Legal Aid.

Other Resources

School Discipline: Know your Rights – School Expulsions
Pro se Forms
Glossary of Education Terms

You may be able to find an attorney who can help you by contacting:

Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Lawyer Referral Service
(216) 696-3532

I am having trouble getting my child into school. What can I do? Close

Every child has a right to attend school. If you are having trouble enrolling your child in school due to any of the reasons listed below, Legal Aid may be able to help:

  • You are homeless or do not have a permanent address
  • You do not have residency in the area where the school is located
  • Your first language is not English
  • You cannot get transcripts from your child’s former school
  • Your child has a disability

Next Steps

Visit a brief advice clinic or contact Legal Aid.

Other Resources

School Discipline: Know your Rights – School Expulsions
Pro se Forms
Glossary of Education Terms

You may be able to find an attorney who can help you by contacting:

Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Lawyer Referral Service
(216) 696-3532

Juvenile Public Defenders Office
(216) 443-7295

How do I handle a meeting with my child’s school? Close

Every child has a right to attend school.   You have an important role as an advocate for your child’s success in school and in life. You have information to share about your child. You are an equal partner with the school in supporting your child’s success.

This worksheet can help you plan and prepare for meetings with your child’s school:

What should I do if my child is being bullied at school? Close

Too often, the news reports stories about kids being bullied at school.   In Ohio, there is a law that tells schools what they must do to protect their students from bullying. “Bullying” refers to any written, spoken, or physical acts that are threatening or abusive to another student and happens more than once. Parents and caregivers need to know what schools should be doing and what they can do to help their children.

Every school district in Ohio must have an anti-bullying policy.   A copy of the district’s policy should be available from the school. The anti-bullying policy covers any acts of bullying at school, on the school bus, or at any school event.     It also includes acts of electronic bullying such as bullying through the internet or by cell phone.

The policy will tell parents and students how to report bullying.   Reports should be made in writing to the school.   This letter should include enough information about the problem so the school can investigate.   Put the date on the letter and make a copy to keep before giving it to the school.   On your copy, write down the name of the person you gave the letter to at the school. School staff must also report any bullying they know about at school.

Once the school learns about a bullying problem, the school must investigate the bullying.   When the investigation is complete, the school should make a plan to keep the student safe who is being bullied.

If the school does not adequately respond to the bullying report, you can contact the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, to decide if a complaint against the school should be made.   Their phone number is 216-522-4970.   In order to make a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights, the bullying must be related to discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.   For more information, see also the Legal Aid brochure “Bullying in Ohio Schools” at http://lasclev.org/bullyinginschoolsbrochure/.

This article was written by Legal Aid Staff Attorney Katie Feldman and appeared in The Alert: Volume 29, Issue 3. Click here to read the full issue.

    What is a homeless student and what are their rights in school? Close

    Too many children in Ohio are homeless.   A special law, the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, gives homeless students in public or charter schools special help.

    Homeless: This law broadly defines who is homeless to include:

    • students who live in a shelter, in a car, or on the street,
    • students doubling up with family or friends or who couch surf, and
    • students living in a home with problems like bugs, mold, leaks, etc.

    Enrollment: Homeless students do not always have access to important papers like birth records.   This can cause a problem when enrolling the student in school.   This law helps students enroll in a public or charter school even if they do not have all the things normally required to enroll, like birth records, shot records, or utility bills.

    Transportation: Homeless students frequently change schools and miss days of school when they change.   When staying at the same school is best for the student, this law makes public and charter schools provide transportation to keep the student at her last school.   The school must provide transportation even if the student no longer stays close to that school or even if the student is outside the school district.

    Liaison: Every public and charter school has to have a person in charge of finding and helping homeless students.   The person is often called a homeless liaison and sometimes works in the pupil services office.   If you need help for your homeless student, ask the school or district who the homeless liaison is.   If additional help is needed, call Tom Dannis from the Ohio Department of Education at 614-466-4161.   For more information, see also the Legal Aid brochure, “Access to Education for Homeless Students” at http://lasclev.org/accesstoeducationbrochure/.

    This article was written by Legal Aid Senior Attorney Megan Sprecher and appeared in The Alert: Volume 29, Issue 3. Click here to read the full issue.

    I think my child needs special education classes. What is the process? Close

    Getting special education for a child requires a team effort by parents or guardians (“caregivers”), teachers and the school district. Both public and charter schools must provide special education to students with disabilities who need help learning in school.   A caregiver should take the following steps when seeking special education services:

    1. Ask for an Evaluation

    If you think a child needs special education, write a letter to the principal asking for testing to figure out if the child has a disability. Write the date and explain the child’s problems in school with learning, paying attention or acting out. Keep a copy of the letter. If the child has a medical condition, think about including a letter or document from the child’s doctor. The school has 30 days to answer a caregiver’s letter in writing and say whether or not it will test the child.

    2.  School Agrees to Test Your Child

    If the school district agrees a child may have a disability, they will ask the caregiver to sign a consent form. The evaluation may only start after the school receives the signed forms and permission to test. The school must finish the testing within 60 days of consent. After the evaluation is done, the school must meet with the caregiver to talk about the testing and decide if the child needs special education.

    3.  School Will Not Test Your Child

    If the school tells a caregiver that the child will not be tested, and the caregiver disagrees with the decision, s/he has options to appeal. It is a good idea to ask for help with an appeal. The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland is able to help in some of these cases.

    4.  Individual Education Plans (IEPs)

    Children found to need special education services will have an IEP with the school. The IEP services can include things like help with math or reading, plans for addressing behavior problems, speech, language, or occupational therapy, and other services to help children learn. The services are free to families, and can be provided in school or in the home.

    5.  Signing Forms

    If at any time the school asks a caregiver to sign a document and the person does not agree with the document, either (1) do not sign it or (2) write on the document to indicate disagreement.

    Additional information about special education is available from the Ohio Department of Education at: 614-466-2650 or 877-644-6338 (toll free). If you need help with a special education problem, please call Legal Aid at 1-888-817-3777 to find out if you are eligible for assistance.

    This article was written by Legal Aid volunteer Kolie Erokwu and appeared in The Alert: Volume 29, Issue 3. Click here to read the full issue.

    My child has an IEP but I do not get regular reports. What can I do? Close

    A child getting special education at a public or charter school has an Individualized Education Program (IEP).   This IEP is written at least once a year and lists goals for the child in their areas of need.   An IEP Progress Report, talking about the child’s progress on each goal, must be mailed to the child’s caregiver regularly.   The child’s IEP will say how often the IEP Progress Reports must be mailed.

    Legal Aid recently filed a complaint against the Cleveland Metropolitan School District because caregivers of children with IEPs were not getting IEP Progress Reports as often as they should.   The Ohio Department of Education told the school district it must regularly send IEP Progress Reports to caregivers of students getting special education.

    If your child has an IEP and you are not getting regular IEP Progress Reports, you should talk to your child’s teacher and/or principal.   If that does not help, you may file a complaint with the Ohio Department of Education.   You may get the complaint form at their website, www.education.ohio.gov, or by calling Legal Aid at 1-888-817-3777.

    This article was written by Legal Aid volunteer Kolie Erokwu and appeared in The Alert: Volume 29, Issue 3. Click here to read the full issue.

    Do Children Have a Right to Enroll in School? Close

    All children in the United States have a right to enroll in school regardless of the child’s or parents’ citizenship or immigration status. School districts that prohibit or discourage children from enrolling in school because they or their parents are not US citizens or are undocumented immigrants are in violation of Federal law. For example, school districts may NOT require:

    • a state ID or driver’s license as proof of residency,
    • a birth certificate as proof of age, or
    • social security number for child or parent

    Alternative documents may be provided to establish residency and age. Please read more on the rights of children to enroll in school from the US Department of Justice at http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/edu/documents/plyler.php where you can find a fact sheet, dear colleague letter, and Q and A for states, school districts, parents and community members.

    My child is learning English – what are his/her rights under federal law? Close

    English learner students have a right to equal access to high-quality education and the opportunity to achieve full academic potential.  New guidance issued in January by the U.S. Departments of Education and Justice remind states, districts, and schools of their obligations under federal law.  Fact Sheets published in English and other languages help inform the community about these rights and responsibilities.  Follow the links below for more information and please share widely.

    US Department of Education press release: http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/us-departments-education-and-justice-release-joint-guidance-ensure-english-learner-students-have-equal-access-high-quality-education

    “Dear Colleague Letter” providing joint guidance to states, districts and schools in meeting their obligation to ensure English learner students can participate meaningfully and equally in educational programs and services.

      • A fact sheet in English and in other languages about schools’ obligations under federal law to ensure that English learner students can participate meaningfully and equally in school.
      • A fact sheet in English and in other languages about schools’ obligations under federal law to communicate information to limited English proficient parents in a language they can understand.
      • A toolkit to help school districts identify English learner students, prepared by the Education Department’s Office of English Language Acquisition. This is the first chapter in a series of chapters to help state education agencies and school districts meet their obligations to English learner students.

    How Can I Get Help with Student Loans? Close

    The Ohio Attorney General’s Office developed a comprehensive online Student Loan Center to help future, current and former college students understand and manage student loans.

    Check out the Student Loan Resource Center.

    What rights do college students with disabilities have? Close

    College students with a disability have certain rights as they
    continue with their education after high school. It is important to
    know that if you had an IEP (Individualized Education Program) in
    high school, your IEP does not go with you to college. Instead of
    providing special education to students with disabilities, colleges
    must make sure that students with disabilities are treated fairly.

    Colleges cannot discriminate against students with disabilities.
    There are federal and state laws that stop schools from doing
    this. These laws protect students with disabilities from being
    denied admission to a school because of a disability or being
    discriminated against by the school they attend.

    Once a student with a disability starts college, these schools must
    provide academic accommodations and support based on the
    student’s needs. Some examples of this help may include books on
    tape, note takers, readers, extra time for tests, or special computer
    tools. However, these schools do not have to provide students with
    personal equipment such as wheelchairs.

    The steps a student must take to get these services depends on
    the school. First, a student must tell the school about the disability
    if requesting services. Contact the school’s office for students with
    disabilities, or ask an adviser where to start.

    Students who experience discrimination because of a disability
    should contact the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil
    Rights. The phone number in Ohio is 216-522-4970. Complaints
    can also be filled out online at: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/complaintintro.html

    This article was written by Katie Feldman and appeared in The Alert: Volume 32, Issue 1. Click here to read a full PDF of this issue!

    How can I get my child extra support in school? Close

    A pre-school, elementary or high school student with a disability may need extra support in school. Some disabilities keep students from participating in school in the same way as other students, like deafness or being unable to walk. Other disabilities, like dyslexia or low IQ, may keep a child from learning in the same way as other students. Disabilities such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or Oppositional Defiance Disorder may keep a child from controlling their behaviors. Children with disruptive behaviors may miss a lot of class time or have trouble paying attention in class.

    If a student can learn the same way as other students, but is not succeeding in school, that student may need accommodations.  Examples of accommodations are a wheelchair ramp, a sign language interpreter, and extra breaks for a student with ADHD. Accommodations should be recorded in a 504 Plan.

    If a student is not learning in school, the school should try interventions. Interventions may include tutoring or a special reading group. If interventions do not help, a student with a disability may need an Individualized Education Program (IEP). An IEP records the plan for helping a child meet goals specific to that student. Examples of IEP goals are learning math facts, improving speech skills, and developing coping skills.

    Both a 504 Plan and IEP are legal documents created by a team at the school that must include the parent. If a school does not follow a 504 Plan or IEP, a parent can file a complaint.

    A parent can request that a 504 Plan or IEP be created for a child by writing a letter to the school. Date the letter and state that the child has a disability which contributes to struggles in school. Give the letter to the school district office but be sure to keep an additional copy of the letter. If the school does not respond or denies the request, contact the Ohio Department of Education at 1-877-644-6338. For more information about requesting special education, see https://lasclev.org/i-think-my-child-needs-special-education-classes-what-is-the-process/

    This article was written by Danielle Gadomski Littleton and appeared in The Alert: Volume 32, Issue 1. Click here to read a full PDF of this issue!

    I’m on Medicaid/Child Health Insurance Program – How Do I Apply for Federal Student Aid? Close

    Resources are available to help Medicaid / Child Health Insurance Program recipients apply for federal student aid.

    To access the $180 billion in Federal student aid available, students must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at FAFSA.gov.  Beginning October 1st, students will be able to access the FAFSA for the 2017-2018 school year. Given Medicaid/CHIP eligibility requirements, it is expected that most beneficiaries and their families would qualify for student financial aid.

    • To find a program that fits specific needs, see the new College Scorecard with data on college costs, graduation rates, earnings, and student debt at colleges and universities across the United States. This video shows how the College Scorecard can help with finding a good-value school.
    • To access step-by-step support and additional information, the First Lady’s Up Next texting tool provides advising for FAFSA completion, the college search, and student debt repayment. Text COLLEGE to 44044 to get started.
    • For additional information and support, the Financial Aid Toolkit has ready-made materials for counselors, students, and families to answer the most common questions.

    What is the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)? Close

    The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) is a new education law. It replaces the No Child Left Behind Act. President Obama signed this new law on December 10, 2015. ESSA gives state and local governments more control over education in their communities. The goal of ESSA is to create more opportunities for all students, close achievement gaps, improve teaching quality, and reach better outcomes for students.

    The U.S. Department of Education and Ohio are working together to create a plan for how ESSA will work here. Ohio’s plan must address help for struggling schools, standards and testing, and school and district accountability. Ohio has the 2016-2017 school year to create this plan. Ohio’s plan is set to start in the 2017-2018 school year.

    ESSA requires states to continue to follow the McKinney-Vento Act. This helps students stay in school if their family loses housing. Students who become homeless may either stay in their home school or attend the school closest to where they are temporarily living. Students who are homeless can also receive transportation to help them stay in school. ESSA increases the duties of the school district liaison. This person helps families that become homeless access services.

    ESSA also protects children in foster care from having to move schools when they enter foster care or change foster homes. If it is in the child’s best interest to stay in his or her home school, the child has a right to transportation to that school. If it is not in the child’s best interest to stay in the same school, ESSA requires the child to be enrolled immediately in a new school.

    Ohio is working to develop its plan. The Ohio Department of Education expects to have a draft plan open for public comments by the end of 2016. More information about ESSA in Ohio can be found at http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Every-Student-Succeeds-Act-ESSA.

    By Jessica Baaklini


    Language Access for Parents
    The Cleveland Metropolitan School District has agreed to provide interpretation
    Bullying in Schools: Know Your Rights and Your Public School’s Obligations
    This brochure explains Ohio’s anti-bullying laws, which apply to all
    Access to Education for Homeless Students and Students Living in Temporary Housing
    This brochure explains the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, which  is a
    School Discipline: Know Your Rights
    If your child has been suspended or expelled, you should
    Special Education: Know Your Rights
    If you think your child has learning problems, you may
    Is Your Child having Problems at School?
    Is your school not responding to your concerns? Does your
    Pro Se Forms
    These forms are intended to aid you in the special education planning process.

    Success Stories

    Working together to #ExtendJustice
    Our leadership with The Campaign for Legal Aid will extend the reach of justice to more families in Northeast Ohio.

    Read More


    The Campaign for Legal Aid
    Steady growth in donor support through The Campaign for Legal Aid extends Legal Aid’s reach in Northeast Ohio.

    Read More


    Housing Justice Alliance
    The Campaign for Legal Aid will support the Housing Justice Alliance - and we'll be the first community in Ohio to create a right to counsel when someone's home is at risk.

    Read More


    • photo1
    • photo1
    • photo1