Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

Can I be court-ordered to receive mental health treatment in or out of the hospital?

Yes. As of September 17, 2014, the law on “civil commitment” in Ohio changed. “Civil commitment” is when a probate court orders a person with mental illness to receive treatment. The court can order treatment in or out of a hospital, under certain circumstances. When a court holds a hearing to decide whether or not to order a person into treatment, that person has legal rights. For example, the person has the right to attend the hearing and to have an attorney represent them at the hearing. Anyone with questions about the new civil commitment law can call Disability Rights Ohio at 1-800-282-9181 to request help.

Click here for more information from Disability Rights Ohio about the new civil commitment law.

Quick Exit