Need Legal Aid Help? Get Started

Applying for an Overpayment Waiver for Traditional Unemployment or PUA Benefit Overpayments

Many people who have received unemployment benefits (“claimants”) are being asked to repay unemployment benefits to the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services (ODJFS) they received by mistake, which are known as “overpayments.” If you believe you received an overpayment and that it wasn’t your fault, you may be eligible to apply for an overpayment waiver from ODJFS.

What Overpayments are Eligible for the Overpayment Waiver Program?

The overpayment must be a “nonfraud” overpayment to be eligible for a waiver for either unemployment compensation (UC) or pandemic unemployment assistance (PUA). A “nonfraud” overpayment is an overpayment which ODJFS determined was not because of any false information the claimant gave. Instead, the overpayment may result from a problem with the UC system, for example.

“Fraud” overpayments are not eligible for the waiver program. If you received a notice of a fraud overpayment and disagree with the decision, you can appeal the decision within 21 days by following the steps on your appeal notice.  You can also contact Legal Aid to see if we can provide further assistance.

If you plan on applying for an overpayment waiver, Legal Aid recommends you still appeal your overpayments until your overpayment waiver is approved.

How do I apply for a waiver in the Traditional Unemployment Compensation system?

  1. Go to
  2. Click on “Unemployment Login” and log in to your account.
  3. On the Main Menu under Claim Details, select “View Overpayment Repayment Summary.” Your overpayment amount will be displayed on the screen.
  4. At the bottom of your screen, select “Overpayment Waiver Request.” You will receive a message in green instructing you to check your account correspondence the next business day for a new notice that will require your response.
  5. The day after you requested the waiver, log back into your account.
  6. From the Main Menu page under View Correspondence Inbox on the right side of the screen, select “View Notices and Determinations.”
  7. You will see a “Notice of Required Action.” It should be the most recent correspondence in your inbox. Select the Notice of Required Action by clicking on the circle next to the item and then select “View Details.” The Notice of Eligibility Issue screen will appear. Ignore the deadline dates – there is no deadline to respond.
  8. You will have two options:
    1. You can complete a form requesting an overpayment waiver online by completing the form that appears on your screen. At the bottom of the form, select the “Certify” button to submit your request; OR
    2. Select the first circle on your screen and then select View Printable Version at the bottom. A printable version of the form will appear on your screen. Print, complete, and mail the form to the address on the form. Ignore the deadline dates – there is no deadline to respond.

For an illustrated guide, please visit:

How do I Apply for a waiver in the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) system?

  1. Go to
  2. Under “Important Messages,” click on “Select here” to review requested information.
  3. Click on the Document ID for “Overpayment Recovery Waiver – Overpayment Recovery Waiver.”
  4. A Claimant Questionnaire will appear. Complete the questionnaire. Under “Name and title of the person completing this request,” type your name and the word “Claimant.” Then click on “Submit.”
  5. Select “Next” to confirm your response.
  6. On the next screen, you will be asked if you want to include additional documents to support your request. Select “yes” if you have documents you would like to add, or “no” if you do not have documents.
    1. If you selected “yes,” you will be directed to upload your documents. Legal Aid recommends uploading documents in PDF format.

For an illustrated guide, please visit:

What do I do if I need help completing the overpayment waiver application?

If you have any questions or problems completing your overpayment waiver application, you can call Legal Aid’s Worker Information Line and we may be able to provide additional assistance.

What do I do if ODJFS denies my request for an overpayment wavier?

Because this overpayment wavier process is new, Legal Aid is not sure whether there will be an option for appealing a denial of an overpayment waiver application.  If you applied for an overpayment waiver and ODJFS denied your request, you can call Legal Aid’s Intake Department to see if you qualify for Legal Aid’s services.

Quick Exit