Posted January 23, 202312:00 pm
The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland seeks a staff attorney for its Volunteer Lawyers Program (VLP).
The VLP Attorney is on staff at Legal Aid, and prepares and places extended service cases with volunteer attorneys, provides training and support to volunteer attorneys, and develops and directs legal clinics. In addition, the VLP Attorney engages in volunteer lawyer recruitment and recognition efforts by establishing effective working relationships with bar associations, attorneys, firms, courts, other legal and community partners.
About Legal Aid: Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice, equity, and access to opportunity for and with people who have low incomes through passionate legal representation and advocacy for systemic change. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid organization in the United States. Legal Aid’s 135+ total staff members (70+ attorneys), and 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter and economic stability for low-income clients. Legal Aid serves a diverse northeast Ohio population in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, and Lorain Counties.
In addition to providing legal assistance to individual clients, Legal Aid attorneys engage in broad-based advocacy to impact client groups and communities. Attorneys work in partnership with other service providers to address community issues and engage in community legal education and collaborate with local, state and national colleagues on issues impacting low-income communities.
The Successful Candidates will:
- Be committed to Legal Aid’s mission.
- Hold a JD and be licensed to practice law in Ohio or eligible to waive in or sit for the next bar.
- Have experience in legal aid or a nonprofit environment (strongly preferred).
- Have working knowledge of state and federal law related to Legal Aid’s clients.
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Have experience collaborating with other (non-legal) professions preferred.
- Have excellent research, writing and advocacy skills.
- Have strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Have excellent team- and partnership-building skills.
- Be organized, able to plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Be willing to attend partnership meetings and events outside normal business hours.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
Compensation & Benefits: The starting Staff Attorney salary is $61,725+ DOE and Senior Attorney salary is $76,299+ DOE. In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, and much more. Visit lasclev.org/careers/overview for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “VLP Attorney” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.