Posted January 1, 20229:00 am
The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland is growing to serve more clients! Legal Aid is seeking paralegals who will work closely with and support Legal Aid attorneys. Paralegals conduct client interviews, maintain client contact, and engage in community outreach. They assist attorneys in all aspects of advocacy and litigation, including legal research, drafting of pleadings, letters, and other documents. Paralegals manage electronic and paper case files and conduct office management responsibilities. They play an important role in the organization. Legal Aid specifically anticipates hiring paralegals to fill positions focused on:
- Housing – representing tenants to retain affordable, safe housing. This will include implementing Cleveland’s new ground-breaking Right to Counsel legislation.
- Family – representing domestic violence survivors in Domestic Relations and Juvenile Court. This includes representation in divorce, custody, and protection orders
- Medical-Legal Partnerships – working in collaboration with medical providers to address social determinants of health, including Legal Aid’s new partnership with the Cleveland Clinic.
- Economic Justice – including representing low-wage workers in employment, unemployment and tax, bankruptcy, consumer, and foreclosure.
- Education and Public Benefits – ensuring access to education for children at risk, including those with special needs and those in the foster care system and access to public benefits.
About Legal Aid: Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid organization in the United States. Legal Aid’s 115+ staff members (65+ attorneys) and 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter and economic stability for low-income clients. Legal Aid serves a diverse northeast Ohio population in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain Counties.
The Successful Candidates will:
- Be committed to Legal Aid’s mission
- Have experience working with low-income individuals and communities
- Hold an associates degree or equivalent; bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Have 1+ year of office experience, preferably in a legal environment
- Have strong organizational and time management skills with strong attention to detail
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and case management software
- Have a high level of professionalism
- Spanish fluency is strongly preferred
Compensation & Benefits: The starting Paralegal salary is $45,436+ DOE (Paralegal IIs salary starts at $51,438+ DOE)
In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, paid time off, and much more. Please visit Legal Aid’s “careers” section at www.lasclev.org for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org, listing “Paralegal” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.