Posted August 12, 20224:00 pm
The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland is launching a new project engaging volunteer attorneys - Lawyers Advocating for Safe Housing (LASH). LASH will address rental housing issues that are impacting access to healthy and safe homes, including conditions, utility shutoffs and lockouts. LASH will leverage Legal Aid’s expertise in housing law and strong Volunteer Lawyers Program (VLP) to address unmet needs in the community.
Legal Aid seeks an Attorney to serve as lead of this project. The Attorney will be responsible for project development and management of volunteer attorney recruitment, training, and recognition. The attorney will provide substantive support for the volunteer attorneys who may be new to housing law. The Attorney will work closely with other staff members of the VLP as well as experienced attorneys in Legal Aid’s Housing Group. The project begins October 1. LASH is supported by a Pro Bono Innovation Fund grant from the Legal Services Corporation.
About Legal Aid: Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid organization in the country. Legal Aid’s 130+ total staff members (70+ attorneys), and 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter, and economic stability for low-income clients. Legal Aid serves a diverse northeast Ohio population in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain Counties.
In addition to providing legal assistance to individual clients, Legal Aid attorneys engage in broad-based advocacy to impact client groups and communities. Attorneys work in partnership with other service providers to address community issues and engage in community legal education and collaborate with local, state, and national colleagues on issues impacting low-income communities.
The Successful Candidates will:
- Be committed to Legal Aid’s mission.
- Hold a JD and be licensed to practice law in Ohio or eligible to waive in or sit for the next bar.
- Have experience in legal aid or a nonprofit environment (strongly preferred).
- Have working knowledge of state and federal law related to Legal Aid’s clients (housing experience strongly preferred).
- Have strong project management skills.
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Have experience collaborating with other (non-legal) professions (preferred).
- Have excellent research, writing and advocacy skills.
- Have strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Have excellent team- and partnership-building skills.
- Be organized, able to plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Be willing to attend partnership meetings and events outside normal business hours.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
Compensation & Benefits: The starting Staff Attorney salary is $61,725+ DOE and Senior Attorney salary is $76,299+ DOE. In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, and much more. Visit lasclev.org/careers/overview for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to: email@example.com with “LASH Attorney” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.