Posted December 18, 20205:00 am
The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland seeks a Supervising Attorney for its Volunteer Lawyers Program (VLP) and Intake Practice Group (Group) who will play a critical role in ensuring access to justice.
The Group is the first point of contact for many individuals seeking legal assistance to resolve issues of shelter, safety and economic security. The Group uses an array of technologies and innovative programs to screen 15,000 applicants annually for eligibility, provide advice and brief service to 5,000 clients. The Group also works with more than 3,000 volunteer lawyers who serve clients through individual case and clinics.
The Supervising Attorney supervises 10 intake specialists, identifies trends in need and gaps in service, develops ways to leverage technology to serve clients and support volunteers. The Supervising Attorney provides counsel, advice and brief service to clients in a wide range of substantive issues. The Supervising Attorney develops programming to engage volunteer attorneys, recruits and supports volunteer attorneys, and implements programs and materials to serve clients. The Supervising Attorney uses technology and data analysis for supervision and to identify trends. The Supervising Attorney reports to the VLP/Intake Managing Attorney.
In addition to providing legal assistance to individual clients, Legal Aid attorneys engage in broad-based advocacy to impact client groups and communities. Attorneys work in partnership with other service providers to address community issues and engage in community legal education and collaborate with local, state and national colleagues on issues impacting low income communities.
About Legal Aid: Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid organization in the United States. Legal Aid’s 108 staff members (including 64 attorneys), and 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to secure safety, health, shelter and economic stability for low income clients. Legal Aid serves a diverse northeast Ohio population in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain Counties.
The Successful Candidates will:
- Be committed to Legal Aid’s mission.
- Hold a JD and be licensed to practice law in Ohio or eligible to waive in or sit for the next bar.
- Have experience in legal services or a nonprofit environment (strongly preferred).
- Have working knowledge of state and federal law related to Legal Aid’s clients.
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Have excellent Microsoft Office and database skills.
- Have experience collaborating with other (non-legal) professions.
- Have excellent research, writing and advocacy skills.
- Have strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Have excellent team- and partnership-building skills.
- Be organized, able to plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Be willing to attend partnership meetings and events outside normal business hours.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
Compensation & Benefits: The starting Supervising Attorney salary is $72,624+ DOE. In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution. Visit www.lasclev.org/careers for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to: email@example.com with “Supervising Attorney” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.