Posted March 19, 20215:40 pm
The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland seeks an Accountant. This is a new position added because of Legal Aid’s growth in size and increase in financial complexity.
The Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and Administrative Operations, assisting the Director with all aspects of accounting with a focus on analytical and transactional review, utilizing established accounting principles. The Finance Team is comprised of the Director, two accountants and a bookkeeper, and is supported by the Office Manager and HR Manager. The functions of this position include:
- On-going tracking of financial transactions:
- Enter deposits and create and enter journal entries and maintain fixed assets
- Review and provide back-up for accounts payable
- Lead role in month-end closing process
- Reconciliation, review and analysis:
- Create and implement systems to ensure data integrity
- Prepare monthly financial statements including analysis of trends and budget variances
- Support budgeting process
- Review and analyze account distribution for accuracy and reasonableness
- Review bank statements and activity, and maintain cash controls and security
- Grant reports, tracking and requests
- Provide financial information for grant reports and requests
- Ensure appropriate tracking of grants in accounting software, particularly federal grants
- Track temporary restricted balances
- Provide support for and some oversight of payroll
- Serve as back-up for payroll
- Support Director of Finance in facilitation of all audits and funder oversight
Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid in the United States. Legal Aid’s 100+ staff (including 60+ attorneys) and more than 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter, and economic stability for low income clients. For more, visit: www.lasclev.org.
The Successful Candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or commensurate experience required
- 5+ years’ experience in finance and accounting
- non-profit experience and federal grants preferred
- Proficiency in:
- Windows, MS Office, Excel
- accounting and payroll software (Sage/MIP, Microix, Paycor, Raiser’s Edge a plus)
- oral and written communication skills
- interpersonal skills, including attentiveness to cultural needs and differences
- organizational skills, including ability to prioritize and multi-task
- attention to detail and accuracy
- working relationships with diverse colleagues
Compensation & Benefits: The Accountant starting salary is $59,927+ DOE. In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution. Visit www.lasclev.org/careers for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accountant” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.