Posted August 24, 20205:06 am
Legal Aid seeks a dynamic, creative leader to be the Managing Attorney of the Volunteer Lawyers Program (VLP) and Intake Group. The VLP and Intake Group ensures that Legal Aid develops and maintains an effective and responsive intake system. Each year the Intake Team handles nearly 20,000 requests for services and provides advice to thousands of clients. The VLP is a nationally recognized pro bono program, engaging hundreds of volunteers each year.
The Managing Attorney must have strong organizational, systems-development, management and partnership-building skills. The Managing Attorney’s role is focused in:
- Intake and Advice: Legal Aid conducts almost 20,000 intakes each year. The Managing Attorney manages this work, in collaboration with 3 Supervising Attorneys and 11 Intake Specialists. The Managing Attorney ensures the Intake Team operates effectively and efficiently, works in compliance with various funder requirements, identifies appropriate legal issues and community referral opportunities, and that clients receive high quality and responsive advice and information.
- Volunteer Lawyers Program: Legal Aid has an active volunteer list of 3000+ attorneys. Each year 600+ of those volunteer attorneys handle cases and attend neighborhood clinics, serving 1,600+clients. The Managing Attorney ensures VLP recruits and supports volunteers to provide high quality legal services. This includes designing and implementing programs that meet client needs and effectively recruit, train, support, engage, and recognize volunteers.
- Advocacy: The Managing Attorney plays a leadership role in advocacy efforts to address systemic issues that impact client communities.
- Leadership and Management: The Managing Attorney leads a team of 17 people, including 4 attorneys. The Managing Attorney is a leader at Legal Aid and is part of the Management Team that establishes organizational policy and direction. The Managing Attorney is a leader in the northeast Ohio legal community, including in local bar associations, and in the national and state pro bono communities.
- Community: The Managing Attorney builds a variety of partnerships, including with other non-profits, grass roots organizations, government agencies and elected officials. The Managing Attorney also works closely with other Legal Aid leaders to raise Legal Aid’s visibility and standing.
About Legal Aid: Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid organization in the United States. Legal Aid’s 60 staff attorneys, 100 total staff members, and 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter and economic stability for low income clients. Legal Aid serves a diverse northeast Ohio population in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain Counties.
In addition to providing legal assistance to individual clients, Legal Aid attorneys engage in broad-based advocacy to impact client groups and communities. Attorneys work in partnership with other service providers to address community issues and engage in community legal education and collaborate with local, state and national colleagues on issues impacting low income communities.
The Successful Candidates will:
- Exhibit a strong commitment to Legal Aid’s mission.
- Hold a JD and be licensed to practice law in Ohio or eligible to waive in or sit for the next bar.
- Have excellent management and leadership skills.
- Have experience in providing legal services for low income and vulnerable individuals or in a nonprofit environment (strongly preferred).
- Have working knowledge of state and federal law related to Legal Aid’s clients.
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have excellent research, writing and advocacy skills.
- Exhibit strong attention to detail.
- Exhibit excellent team- and partnership-building skills.
- Have excellent technology skills, including MS Office, databases and document assembly.
- Embrace diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Be willing to attend events outside normal business hours.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
Compensation & Benefits: The Managing Attorney starting salary is $84,150+ DOE. In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, and much more. See www.lasclev.org/careers/overview for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, résumé, references, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Attorney” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted through September 20, 2020.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.