Posted May 22, 20206:44 am
Legal Aid is seeking attorneys to fill positions which will open in 2020 as a result of growth. Recent law school graduates and experienced attorneys are encouraged to apply. Legal Aid attorneys represent individual clients in a variety of legal issues that impact shelter, health/safety, and economic security. Legal Aid specifically anticipates hiring attorneys to fill positions focused on:
Education – ensuring access to education for children at risk, including those with special needs and those in the foster care system.
Housing – representing tenants to retain affordable, safe housing. This will include implementing Cleveland’s new ground-breaking Right to Counsel legislation.
Medical-Legal Partnerships – working in collaboration with medical providers to address social determinants of health.
Family – representing domestic violence survivors in Domestic Relations and Juvenile Court. This includes representation in divorce, custody and protection orders.
Economic Development – including representing emerging nonprofits, community groups and cooperative entities regarding access to housing, safety, services and capital.
Economic Justice – including representing low-wage workers in employment, unemployment and tax, consumer, and foreclosure.
About Legal Aid: Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid organization in the United States. Legal Aid’s 92 staff members - including 52 attorneys - and 3,000 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter and economic stability for low income clients. Legal Aid serves a diverse northeast Ohio population in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain Counties.
In addition to providing legal assistance to individual clients, Legal Aid attorneys engage in broad-based advocacy to impact client groups and communities. Attorneys work in partnership with other service providers to address community issues and engage in community legal education and collaborate with local, state and national colleagues on issues impacting low income communities.
The Successful Candidates will:
- Be committed to Legal Aid’s mission.
- Hold a JD and be licensed to practice law in Ohio or eligible to waive in or sit for the next bar.
- Have experience in legal services or a nonprofit environment (strongly preferred).
- Have working knowledge of state and federal law related to Legal Aid’s clients.
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Have experience collaborating with other (non-legal) professions preferred.
- Have excellent research, writing and advocacy skills.
- Have strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Have excellent team- and partnership-building skills.
- Be organized, able to plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Be willing to attend partnership meetings and events outside normal business hours.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
Compensation & Benefits: The starting Staff Attorney salary is $58,752+ DOE. In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, and much more. Visit www.lasclev.org/careers/overview for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to: email@example.com with “Attorney” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.