Posted December 12, 20188:48 am
Are you a people person? Detail-oriented? Savvy with technology? A quick study? Want to help a great organization provide legal assistance to low income individuals?
The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland (Legal Aid) is seeking paralegals and intake specialists who will play important roles in ensuring that low income individuals have access to high quality legal assistance.
Our paralegals work closely with and support Legal Aid attorneys. They conduct client interviews, maintain client contact, and engage in community outreach. They also assist attorneys in all aspects of advocacy and litigation, including legal research, drafting of pleadings, letters, and other documents. Paralegals also manage electronic and paper case files and conduct office management responsibilities.
Intake Specialists are the first exposure our clients have to Legal Aid. They interview applicants while documenting their particular need(s) and gathering important information to help us assess our ability to provide services. The Intake Specialists also provide information, advice and brief service to clients, under the supervision of an attorney. Intake Specialists are our front line staff.
About Legal Aid: Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to secure justice and resolve fundamental problems for those who are low income and vulnerable by providing high quality legal services and working for systemic solutions. Founded in 1905, Legal Aid is the fifth oldest legal aid organization in the United States. Legal Aid’s 45 staff attorneys, 80 staff members, and 2,500 volunteer lawyers use the power of the law to improve safety and health, shelter and economic stability for low income clients. Legal Aid serves a diverse northeast Ohio population in Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake and Lorain Counties.
- A strong commitment to public service and to advocacy for low-income persons;
- Experience working with low-income individuals and communities;
- Associates degree or equivalent; bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- 1+ year of office experience, preferably in a legal environment
- Spanish fluency is strongly preferred
- Strong organizational and time management skills with strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and case management software
- High level of professionalism
- Experience in working with non-profits and with attorneys preferred
- Commitment to Legal Aid’s mission required
- Please note: Paralegal Certification is not required for this role
Compensation & Benefits: The starting Intake Specialist salary is 35,200+ DOE. The starting Paralegal salary is $42,400+ DOE. In addition, Legal Aid offers an exceptional benefits package including healthcare insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement savings plan with up to 13% employer contribution, paid time off, and much more. Please visit Legal Aid’s “careers” section at www.lasclev.org for more information.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org, listing “Legal Aid” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate because of age, race, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.