Posted December 16, 202111:39 am
The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) started the Reinstatement Fee Debt Reduction and Amnesty Program on December 13, 2020. The program helps people get their driver’s licenses back by reducing fees.
Fees will be reduced for drivers who:
- Have an “eligible offense.” Most driver’s license suspensions that do NOT involve alcohol, drugs, or deadly weapons qualify. For example: operating a vehicle without proof of insurance, and failure to appear or failure to pay a fine related to vehicle-related violations.
- Owe driver’s license reinstatement fees. Court fines and fees aren’t covered.
- Wait the required time. 18 months must have passed since the end of the suspension period for at least one of your eligible offenses.
- Be new to the program. You may only participate in this program one time.
The BMV will send eligible drivers an email or a letter. The notice will show the fees reduced and the fees still owed. It will also ask for proof of insurance. Proof of insurance may be provided with an insurance card, declaration page, or policy.
Drivers who receive any of the benefits listed below may not have to pay any eligible fees. Complete BMV Form 2829 to apply for a complete removal of fees. You must show that you get any of these benefits:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Ohio Works First Program (OWF)
- Supplemental Security Income Program (SSI)
- Veteran’s Affairs Pension Benefit Program
You can get information on your SNAP, OWF, and/or Medicaid participation from your county Department of Job and Family Services. You can create an account on the Self-Service Portal Homage Page and print out the information yourself. Find the Self-Service Portal Homepage here: https://ssp.benefits.ohio.gov/apspssp/ssp.portal.
Proof of benefits should include your name and the status or month.
Drivers who qualify for the program but did NOT receive a notice from the BMV can still apply. Complete BMV Form 2829. Provide current proof of insurance. Prove you get any of the benefits listed above. Deliver the completed application to the BMV by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 614.308.5110
- In person at a BMV Deputy Registrar License Office. You may be charged a service fee.
PO Box 16521, Columbus, OH 43216-6521
The BMV may say you do not qualify for the program. If you disagree, you can apply for help from Legal Aid online at www.lasclev.org or call 1.888.817.3777.
For further information: Find the closest BMV office: https://publicsafety. ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odps/local-office
Application for BMV Reinstatement Fee Debt Reduction and Amnesty Program: https://publicsafety.ohio.gov/static/bmv2829.pdf
Learn more about the Reinstatement Fee Debt Reduction and Amnesty Program: https://lasclev.org/what-is-the-ohio-bmv-reinstatement-fee-debt-reduction-and-amnesty-program/
Written by Luke Trinka
This article was published in Legal Aid's newsletter, "The Alert" Volume 37, Issue 1, in Fall 2021. See full issue at this link: “The Alert” – Volume 37, Issue 1 – Legal Aid Society of Cleveland (lasclev.org).